Overseas Application Information

  • Tax Status

  • Types of Overseas Applications

  • Fiscal Sponsor Information

  • Information Specifically for Fiscal Sponsors

  • Letter of Relationship

  • Gathering Your Information

  • Apply

Tax Status of U.S. Headquarters or Fiscal Sponsor

Tyndale House Foundation funds projects located in the United States and around the world . If your organization or project is located outside the U.S. you must have a U.S. Headquarters or Fiscal Sponsor with 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status to receive funds. Although overseas organizations may have tax-exempt status in its own country this does not satisfy the requirements which U.S. tax law places on Tyndale House Foundation.

Types of Overseas Applications

In order to fund projects all around the world we work with different types of Overseas Organizations. Types of projects we fund include:

  1. A project that is overseas and is implemented by the leadership located overseas which has a U.S. Tax Exempt Headquarters.
  2. A project that is overseas and is implemented by the leadership located overseas which is a subsidiary of the U.S. Tax Exempt Parent Organization.
  3. A project that is overseas and is implemented by an organization located overseas with its own governing board and administration. The overseas organization has a formalized relationship with a U.S. Fiscal Sponsor.

In most cases the leadership overseas will prepare the application. The U.S. Headquarters or Fiscal Sponsor will have access to the overseas application in his/her own account to complete the U.S. portion of the form.  Please refer to the Grants Portal Information page on how to manage your account. Note: All of these options reflect the reality that the overseas leadership in the field implements and manages the work. Their input is critical to the crafting of the application.

If your project is managed by the U.S. Organization staff but takes place overseas, please read the U.S. Application Information.

Fiscal Sponsor Information for Overseas Organization

Tyndale House Foundation may consider a grant request from an overseas organization that does not currently have 501(c)(3) Tax Exempt Status in the United States if the grant application is sponsored by a “fiscal sponsor”. We will allocate grants to  “fiscal agents” if they accept fiscal sponsorship responsibility.

A fiscal sponsor is a public charity seeking funds for a project compatible with its own mission but implemented by an organization overseas without public charity status in the United States. The Overseas Organization is autonomous, planning and managing their own  programs and funds. The Fiscal Sponsor is their link to funding from the United States. In some cases they may have tax exempt status in their own county. This does not satisfy the U.S. Tax Code requirements placed on foundations.

A letter of agreement in which the fiscal sponsor indicates the relationship and a willingness to act for the Overseas Entity is required. In such an agreement, the fiscal sponsor stipulates that the project is compatible with the sponsor’s own mission and purpose, and that the sponsor’s management has agreed to such stipulation. The Overseas Entity agrees to provide all project information and follow-up reports as required.

The fiscal sponsor will receive a receipt of any gifts made by  Tyndale House Foundation and will work with the overseas organization on the timely transfer of project funds. The handling of such funds by both organizations should always reflect normal procedures and accounting. In some cases, the fiscal sponsor may charge a fee or a percentage of the grant allocated. This fee should be reasonable and applicable only to expenses that might be incurred in the handling of the specific grant. The Foundation may request information substantiating any fees.

Sponsoring organizations should independently investigate their legal responsibilities to be sure they comply with IRS and other U.S. Government regulations pertaining to fiscal sponsorship.

For a list of articles, blogs and conversations regarding Fiscal Sponsorship see:

 Six Ways To Do It Right 

What is Fiscal Sponsorship

Alder & Covin

Information Specifically for Fiscal Sponsors

You may act as a Fiscal Sponsor for one or more other organizations overseas. You may also have your own project that you would like to submit. Be assured that we clearly track which project is yours and which projects are from the overseas organizations that you sponsor. Your proposal will stand alone and will not be penalized in any way. For your project you will fill out the application form for a U.S. Tax Exempt Organization. The overseas organization for which you act as a Fiscal Sponsor will fill out a separate application form. As a Fiscal Sponsor you will have access to the overseas application in your account to fill out the U.S. portion of the form.  Please refer to the Grants Portal Information page on how to manage your account.

Letter of Relationship: Overseas Office and U.S. Tax Exempt Headquarters

Organizations that are the overseas office of a U.S. Tax Exempt Headquarters or a subsidiary of a U.S. Tax Exempt Organization are required to submit a letter from the U.S. Headquarters indicating that the relationship and  project are supported by the Headquarters office.

Gathering Your Information to Prepare to Fill Out Your Application

Download our quick list of items you will be asked to provide on the application. This document can be used to collect text to copy and paste into the online application at a later date.


If this is your first time applying to Tyndale House Foundation you will need to  fill out a registration form to request access to the grants portal. If you already have an account you can simply log in. In both cases, you can then begin a new application. To read more about using the grants portal, click here.